Thursday 11 September 2014

Little Shop + Pretend Money = Supermarket Game

I guess the supermarket game never gets old, and the great thing is can be modified to suit just about any age level.
The bonus is it's fun, it's a game and there is heaps of learning to be had.

My daughter is 9 and she loved it so much, she keeps asking to play it often.
As well it just kept growing and growing until it had branched off into lots of different areas or learning and understanding of the bigger picture that is called life :)

For anyone who lives outside of New Zealand.
New World supermarket has a promotional thing going called Little Shop.
Every time you spend a certain amount on groceries at their supermarket, you earn so many of these little cute supermarket items.
                     

First Miss Personality put together a price list.
Since she is not the biggest fan of hand writing, she chose to type it out on the ipad.
When she was writing up her list, she was asking questions about which things would be considered diary products.
Which started conversations about where she thought things came from and how they were made e.g. Weetbix.

Next she made up a name and created a sign for her supermarket.
I could of encouraged for more creativity in her sign, but she was on a roll, so who was I to interfere
 :)


Now mum's roll in all this was the customer and Miss Personality was the checkout operator.
She packed my grocery items into my supermarket basket.
I started off just buying a couple of things at a time, so she could work out the change to give me.

We use pretend money that is done in New Zealand currency, so there is no confusion over connecting this to 'real life'.

Once mum started buying larger amounts of groceries, I asked if she could write me out a supermarket docket, so I could see what each item was worth, then see the total.
I explained that supermarkets do this, and it helps with working out the total and the change to give once items have been paid for.


We played this for an hour or so, until she started asking if she could stop writing out dockets as she was getting a bit sick of doing that part.


It was a fun game and I am sure you can come up with many ways to keep extending it, depending on what your childs age is.

Have fun and if you come up with some other activities that can be added to the this fun game, please share :)

No comments:

Post a Comment