Tuesday 22 April 2014

The Great Easter Egg Treasure Hunt!

23rd April 2014


I love this photo. It makes me giggle and to me, it is what easter is about, kids having fun.

Now we are not a religious family. We don't go to church, but we believe that religion has some great morals and guides as to how we can treat each other better. 

We had a quiet easter, away from family. But in some ways that can be a good thing.
Miss Personality doesn't handle too much chocolate well.
Saying she gets hyper is a bit of an understatement :)
But then again, I don't want easter to be just be about how many chocolates can I get.
Especially since we live in a country where we can just go to the shop and buy chocolate when ever we want.

I like the magical, child like excitement for the easter bunny though.
I like watching some fun movies about easter, like HOP.
I like getting sucked into the imagination of a child and just enjoy the idea of the easter bunny.

But we also started up a while ago, an easter egg treasure hunt.
We did it one year and ever since then, my daughter just looks forward to it every easter.


I like to go to the budget variety store type shops, they use to be called the $2 shop here in New Zealand.
You can find bags of these empty plastic easter eggs, and the great thing is you can use them every year. The amount of them you will need just depend on how many children you have.
Then I also buy from these budget variety stores, little bits and pieces. 
This year I bought a sheet of stickers (mermaids), some fairy fake tattoos, plastic rings, bouncy balls, little water pistols. In the past I have also bought little rubbers (erasers), but anything you know your child will like and will fit in the egg. 
Oh and of course some tiny easter eggs, can't forget those.
Then I write clues and put one in each egg, plus one or two of the little treasures that I have bought. The clue is what they must read and figure out where the next egg will be.
Not every egg has chocolate in it, but by doing it this way it actually become less about the chocolate and more just about playing a special game that she only gets to do at easter, where she gets to find treasures in an egg.






The other great thing about doing it this way, is that if you have a child with food allergies, you can miss out the chocolate inside the eggs all together.
Miss Personality had lots of food allergies when younger, which always makes easter hard to try and include them in all the easter fun.

Any way, no matter how you enjoyed your easter, hope you and your children had fun and really enjoyed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment