Sunday 30 March 2014

My Way Is Not The Only Way To Get Things Done.

Monday 31st March 2014


Been trying to encourage Miss Personality to use the analogue wall clock to tell the time. She knows how to do it, but just needs a little bit more practice to fine tune it, if you know what I mean.
But when nearly every device in the house tells her the time in digital, whats the point of reading the wall clock, as far as she is concerned. But then again, does it really matter. I mean she can read the time, she knows what quarter to, and quarter past and half past is. She knows the difference between am and pm.

Our other issue is trying to get Miss Personality motivated to do her personal jobs in the morning, she is really good at distracting herself, and then it's lunch time by the time she has finished them.
I have noticed I get distracted easily too, so maybe that is where she gets it from,lol.

Now I knew she had a fascination with time/ numbers, to a certain extent, as she has her dad's need for having a digital clock next to her bed, so she knows what the time is, at all times.

Now dad has increased this desire by giving her his old watch.
It tells the time in digital, but it also does a whole range of other cool things.

  • It tells you what the time would be in different countries.
  • It's a thermometer
  • A stop watch
  • Tells the date
  • It's a compass
  • It is water resistant
  • It has an alarm.
  • And makes different kinds of beeps to tell you certain things.

Now in regards to her personal jobs, this watch has lead to some interesting developments.
Miss Personality decided to time herself while she does her jobs, to see how fast she can do them, and then each day she tries to beat this time.

I watched and had to nearly put my feet in my mouth, to stop from commenting and just let her do what she felt the need to do.

She would do the first job on her list, then stop the stop watch and record the time in seconds.
Then she would start stop watch from beginning, and record the time in seconds after she had completed the next job.
At the end of her jobs, she then asked me how many seconds in a minute, then converted each time to minutes and then added them up.
The second day she did this, she was so excited to beat her time from the day before.

Now was it important for me to interrupt her and tell her she wasn't doing it the way I would have done it.
NO!

But after I extracted my foot out of my mouth, I smiled at what she had achieved all on her own and happy to do it.

I am interested to see what other things this watch can inspire her to do :)



No comments:

Post a Comment