Sunday 9 February 2014

Learning To Do Things For Myself.

Monday 10th February 2014


                                                         


One of the things mum has to learn as much as my daughter, is that she is more than capable to do stuff for herself. Most of the time, because Miss Personality is so strongly independent, she asks to help or other times it can be hard to get her to do things like set the table or put her washing away.

My issue is the fact my little girl is growing up and doesn't need me so much any more. So where does that leave me, what do I do when my daughter doesn't need me any more. I know, I know she is still only 9 years old. But how do you modify what you are doing, but still know when they need you. Is it purely listening to their words? As I know there is still the times when chores and jobs need to be done. 
How do you modify your relationship with each of your children as they grow up?

Any today one of the books I read was an Usborne book called First Encyclopedia of the Human Body. We read the first 2 pages before I could tell it was time to move on. Any way these two pages covered cells, organs and what the role of the brain is. In the book it had a link to a website where you could play a game on the human body. At first I was going to put the address into the address bar for her, but decided to practice some 'stepping back' and let her do it. She was happy to give it a go. For some reason it didn't go to the website we were looking for, so then I stepped in and had a go at putting the address into the address bar. We found the website and the game was, Miss Personality had to find all the organs that went into each system of the body. Because we have done some work on the human body before, it was a good revision game for her. The systems were, the digestive system, the circulatory system, the skeletal system and the respiratory system. Here is the link if any one is interested - www.usborne-quicklinks.com   You just look for the title of this book and its comes up with the game. Miss Personality really enjoyed it and played it a couple of times.


Then I asked Miss Personality if she would like to whip up some cream. She was like okay and went charging into the kitchen. I called her back and just asked her, what do you think you will need to whip some cream? Then I asked her what safety things she needed to pay attention to? Then I stepped back and just let her do it. I am slowly getting better at this 'stepping back' thing, but it also helps when you can distract yourself with something to do :)

What are the lessons, you think you as a parent are learning, while your child is doing their learning?


No comments:

Post a Comment