Wednesday 19 February 2014

Hands On Maths.

Thrusday 20th February 2014

Miss Personality and I haven't been home schooling for very long.
We discovered it when we lived in Australia. We did 6 months of it, before I started to freak out. Miss Personality and I were going through a difficult place with finding a method that worked. It was all it took for me to lose faith in myself, so I sent her back to school. 
Then when we moved back to New Zealand, and I decided that we would return. The issues we were having at home, did not change at school. So I was reaffirmed that it wasn't me, that she was struggling with, it was learning in general.

Any way we have been using work books, after a couple of pages Miss Personality resists. She is not a big fan of writing in general, and it doesn't seem to change that when writing numbers.
We tried some on line stuff, she got bored with that too, rushed through the videos, and just took random guesses to find the answers.

Maths just isn't my thing, I hated it at school and as soon as I could use a calculator, I thought what was the point to learning all this stuff any way. I probably just needed a different way of being taught this stuff too.

I have been researching today for ideas. I quiet like the idea of Montessori, but I know nothing about it, apart from your child becoming an independent learner, it is hands on too.

I found websites, blogs, and then I found the You Tube has it too. There are so many videos to help you learn how to teach in a Montessori way, it was amazing.  

So now I am all juiced up on ideas, with no way to put them into action right now.
So I will be off to the shops tomorrow, finding some bits and pieces to make my own resources.
Hopefully I can set this stuff in motion and Miss Personality will enjoy it and love doing maths, well more than I did at school.

Will keep you posted with photos as soon as I have put things together.

What way does your child or children learn best with Maths?
Do you enjoy it?
How do you help your child progress as they get older?
What way do you teach Maths? 


No comments:

Post a Comment